Thursday, February 16, 2012

Hand Warmers

I'm going to try and post a little more frequently than this, but, you know, the life of a SAHM.  It really is amazing how the days just fly by and it feels like I haven't accomplished anything.  Like, for example, that massive pile of laundry that is just waiting to be folded and put away.

Isn't it just so much easier to take the clothes from the pile??

It's such a dreary day outside.  The weather called for freezing rain, but I have yet to see the freezing temperature.  Instead it is just rainy.

Iz is sleeping and J is putting his blocks away.  I swear he spends more time putting the blocks away than he actually does playing with them.  And he makes it fun too.  I'm sitting here laughing at him, encouraging his craziness.

So, I just started this new pillow pattern.  It's pretty simple, and goes pretty fast.  I'm still working on it, and I will post a finished picture and the pattern when I'm done.  It's for a standard 16in. x 16in. pillow. I also have an afghan on the go.  A simple hexagonal afghan that is taking way too long!  I had no idea how much effort was put into these things!  All the ends that have to be woven in, and then all the pieces have to be sewn together.  I am definitely going to appreciate it when it's done!


The pattern is from the OneLoopShort blog.  So far I am loving it.  It's so plain and simple, and the colours I'm using are cozy.  Or, at least they are to me.

So, these hand warmers.  They started out as someone else's hand warmers, but I changed the pattern.  A lot.  So, the only thing that is still from the original pattern is how many stitches to cast on.  I think.


They're made out of the leftover cotton that I have from the face cloth.  I love them!  I already made a second pair for a friend of W's at work.  She loves them too.


Hand Warmers:
Using size 4 dpns CO 36 stitches, dividing evenly 12 stitches between each needle.  Join the round without twisting and place a marker.
Row 1: k1,p1 to marker.
Row 2: k all the way around
Repeat these two rows 2 more times.
Knit until you have the desired wrist length.  If you slide the mitts over your hand they will come up to the bottom of your hand, where your thumb actually starts (the 3rd segment).
K1, M1, k to the marker.  Knit 8 more rows.
K1, place marker, M1, place marker, k to the end of the round.
K a row
K1, M1 at first marker, k1, m1 at second marker, k to the end of the row.
K a row
K1, M1 at first marker, k3, m1 at second marker, k to the end of the row.
K a row.
Continue in this pattern until there are 13 stitches inbetween the markers.  Put these 13 stitches on a stitch holder.
K next round, joining the fingers together.  Knit for 2 inches.
Work the pattern at the beginning, BO after a Row 1 to avoid curling.
Pick up the stitches from the holder and pick up two more stitches from in the corner of the thumb so you don't have a hole.  15 stitches total.
K for an inch and work 2 patterns from the beginning, BO after a Row 1 to avoid curling.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment